Me: Mate have you seen how shit the weather is today?
Tom: I know init bruv (Don’t worry he’s not gangster), we are definitely in the Brrr months now!
Me: Yeah, I’m loving it! BRRR
When do the “brrr” months run you ask? Generally from November to around the end of February, winter mainly with the back-end of autumn included.
Unlike most people, I like ‘shit’ weather, I love the rain, not when I’m driving obviously but I love the wet coldness upon my face, the chilly breeze, the excuse to wear big coats. I adore the snow, so many memories as a child having snow ball fights in school, or launching them at passing cars and getting myself in detention for it afterwards, only to be thrown out of detention because I annoyed the hell out of the teachers by continuously banged the table with my ring until they went mental and sent me home.
Cold weather is the best weather and while many people have disagreed with me, I’ll tell you why it’s the cold weather I prefer:
– Imagine it’s a really hot, so hot in fact that you are down to your underwear and you’re still sweating, you can’t take off any more layers without being totally indecent.
– In hot weather, you can have a fan on, but the thing is, the air around you is warm so all you’re doing basically is blowing hot air into your already sweating face.
– Sweating! Not very attractive by any means, sweating also helps cause B.O. I don’t suffer with this problem because I shower regularly and spray on Just For Men but there are those that don’t and I have to smell their odours.
– When you’re hot, you’re miserable. Part of that misery is caused by the constant bombardment of wasps, moths and daddy-long-legs, I hate all three, moths and daddy-long-legs more than anything because you can’t have your windows open at night-time without one of these bastards flying through the window and bouncing off of every bright thing in your room.
– Sun burn, I’ve been to hot places such as Magaluf in Spain and just totally burnt to a crisp, due to my own stubbornness not to apply any sort of cream to my back.
– Trouble sleeping, who can sleep in hot weather really?
And while it nice sometimes to sit outside in the sun with a cigarette in one hand, beer in the other surrounded by friends at either a pub or a BBQ, the cons out-weigh the pro’s.
So in summer you’re so hot you can do anything else to keep cool, in the cold weather you can put as many layers on as you want until you feel warm! Sleeping is much easier, I have recently applied a second duvet to my bed, there is nothing cozier than wrapping yourself up like a cocoon in two duvets while listening to a bit of soothing music!
There aren’t any creepy crawlies or flying things around, the only thing you need to worry about at winter time are slugs and they only really come out in the rain (Where they are the rest of the time I don’t know!?), you don’t get sun burn, you may get frost bite should you not wrap up properly, but that’s you’re own damn fault rather than natures, because sun lotion is a pile of shit anyway.
And while it is nice to stand out in the sun with a beer, it’s also nice staying in, in a warm house with a beer! Besides if you really do want to sweat, just go to a nightclub and stand in a crowd, you’ll sweat at any time of the year.
One good thing about being a big guy is people will look to you for warmth, women shivering, “Hey come over here and give poppa bear a hug”. I don’t really say it like that but I do get the occasional hug, which I don’t entirely mind. (As it gives me a chance to pick pocket them)
The only cons I have with “Brrr” months is mostly driving related, the rain battering you in the face when you have your window down having a cigarette (Though I’ve recently started an attempt to eventually quit smoking so this should be gone soon), driving in the rain in general is pretty poor, I want to do 70 because it’s a 70 road but the car in front doesn’t dare do 70 and won’t move out of the damn way so I’m stuck behind him doing 40 going literally out of my mind.
Then there’s the snow, snow and ice are the worst driving conditions, it’s going to cause problems if we get bad snow this year, getting to work that is, as I live in Chesterfield, I work in Sheffield… That’s about 30 minutes away, before it wasn’t so bad as last year I was in France (My God it’s been a year already since I left!) at the top of the French alps, so I was covered in snow but I didn’t have to drive anywhere. And the year before I worked for Ibis Hotel in Chesterfield town centre, so it wasn’t too far and I ended up staying in the hotel for two nights because we were snowed in so we basically drank all of works alcohol for free…
Maybe the roads won’t be that bad this year, but with each passing year my car becomes more of a fail and I seriously doubt it could handle the roads this year, but on the plus side, I can get a snow day for the first time in my working life! Which means staying in bed and watching Jeremy Kyle (HAH! As if).
Not to mention The “Brrr” months hold the Christmas and New Years holidays, Christmas has become less special for me over the years but it’s still a good excuse for a piss up and New Years is a good excuse for grabbing the nearest person to you and planting a massive kiss on their face, though for some strange reason, the past three years have resulted in me planting one on my mate Jake twice and a mate in France, the latter being involuntary, I was mouth raped with his tongue… =/
Although I have a girlfriend at this time of year now, so maybe this year… I’ll get to kiss a girl!
Also there’s nothing quite like waking up to see this…